Interesting that zero shots on target were recorded after Uruguay vs South Korea match.
World Cup 2022 Highlights – Uruguay 0-0 South Korea, neither side were able to break the deadlock in goalless draw in Group H opener.
Son Heung-min, Luis Suarez and Fede Valverde all featured, but none of the big names could make impact in the game.
More highlights here:
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – USA 1-1 Wales
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – England 6-2 Iran
- World Cup Highlights 2022 – Qatar 0-2 Ecuador
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – France 4-1 Australia
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Mexico 0-0 Poland
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Germany 1-2 Japan
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Spain 7-0 Costa Rica
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Morocco 0-0 Croatia
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Belgium 1-0 Canada
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Portugal 3-2 Ghana
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Brazil 2-0 Serbia
Following Japan and Saudi Arabia’s triumphs against big teams, South Korea was expected to stun two-time World Cup champions Uruguay.
However, the reality was far from expectations of the ASIAN fans.
Tottenham’s star Son Heung-min in his mask and co frustrated Uruguay but did not create many clear-cut opportunities.
Their best fell to Hwang Ui-jo, who fired over the bar in the first half, before Uruguay captain Diego Godin headed a corner against the post.
Hwang stood with his head in hands afterwards, while team-mates fell to their knees in disbelief.
South Korea had controlled most of the first half but Uruguay began to dominate as the game wore on and they almost won it in the final minute of normal time, if Federico Valverde’s long-range effort did not crashed off the post.
Valverde’s effort was a rare moment of inspiration for Uruguay as he has always been doing at Real Madrid for the past 2 seasons.
There was one last chance for Tottenham striker Son Heung-min – South Korea’s star man – but he dragged his shot wide, much to the relief of the Uruguayan supporters.
Group H seems to be a three-way battle for qualification to the knockout stages between Uruguay, South Korea and Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal.
However, the former European Champions earned valuable 3 points after 5-goal-thrilling match against Ghana later on.
Where is Luis Suarez?
Suarez, now 35 years old, managed just two touches in the opposition box in his 64 minutes.
Some would say he looked a shadow of the player that once tormented defences across Europe in his heyday at Liverpool and Barcelona, and even at Atletico Madrid. They might very well be precise.