World Cup host Qatar headed to the early exit after suffering a 3-1 defeat to Senegal
World Cup 2022 Highlights – Qatar 1-3 Senegal as we pave goodbye to the host after only 2 group-stage games.
After the defeat by Ecuador in their opening group A match, hopes were high for host Qatar as they faced Senegal in the second game.
Despite scoring the goal in their debut World Cup, the AFC 2019 champions still received the early exit Al Thumama Stadium.
More highlights here:
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – USA 1-1 Wales
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – England 6-2 Iran
- World Cup Highlights 2022 – Qatar 0-2 Ecuador
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – France 4-1 Australia
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Mexico 0-0 Poland
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Germany 1-2 Japan
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Spain 7-0 Costa Rica
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Morocco 0-0 Croatia
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Belgium 1-0 Canada
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Portugal 3-2 Ghana
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Brazil 2-0 Serbia
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Uruguay 0-0 South Korea
- World Cup 2022 Highlights – Switzerland 1-0 Cameroon
Host started the game well with their ambition to search for the first goal.
Akram Afif was bundled over by Isamila Sarr within the penalty area, however, referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz paved away as home fans was furious.
Minutes later, Qatar was made to pay for Boualem Khoukhi’s error as he failed to totally clear the ball which was cleanly hit by Boulaye Dia to break the deadlock.
This goal was special for the AFCON reigning champions as it ended their 269-minute wait without scoring at World Cup.
Qatar’s hopes were dealt a further blow three minutes into the second half – Diedhiou turning in Ismail Jakobs’ inswinging corner.
Senegal had Mendy to thank for two excellent stops as Qatar searched for the attempt to get one back with the Chelsea goalkeeper brilliantly denied Almoez Ali and Ismaeel Mohammad.
Mohammed Muntari’s header four minutes after coming on set up a grandstand finish. The Ghana-born player scored Qatar‘s first World Cup goal against Senegal with a superb header.
Then, Bamba Dieng swept home to strike the decisive blow and round off Senegal’s victory six minutes from time.
Qatar out of the World Cup, hopes are alive for Senegal
Qatar won the Asian Cup in 2019, and given they had three more years to build ahead of this tournament, they would have been hoping to put on a show on home turf.
They have become the first host nation to lose two matches in a single group round of a World Cup. The current generation won Asian Cup in 2019 but seemed not to be ready for such bigger stage.
Meanwhile, Senegal facing Ecuador will be vital for both, the doors are wide open but only a win would bring the African side to proceed next stage, but Ecuador needs only a draw.